This historical marker is at the corner of Elm Street (Co. Rd. 38) and NY State Rt 22 in Berlin. The road dates back to the Manor of Rensselaerswyck days when tenant farmers traveled it to bring payments of grain and poultry to the Patroon Stephen Van Rensselaer. It appears on the 1829 map of Rensselaer below as "Eastern Turnpike." The toll for a horse and rider was 5 cents or 12-1/2 cents for a four-wheel carriage with two horses.