Banner Photo Caption

Total Pageviews

Friday, July 27, 2012

Carpenter's Touch

3205 NY Route 7
Just off the northeast tip of the Plateau in Pittstown, on the north side of Route 7 a tad west of Tibbits Forest in Johnsonville -- just before Potter Hill -- you'll find Carpenter's Touch.


The large cuts of lumber caught my eye while driving by a couple of weeks ago and I instantly knew -- here's the solution to the desk I'd been thinking of building!   I wanted to build a rustic slab cherry desk for my desk and had been pondering a source for the slab.


First Brandon showed me around the lot, then the furniture showroom.


Next I picked out my cherry slab and showed Brandon the dimensions and plan for my desk. It would fit into a corner of a room with one end held by a portion of the slab serving as a desk support and the corner portion held up by a piece of the slab cut 18"Lx4"W that I'd bolt into the wall.  We discussed finish and I decided to go with Cherry Danish Oil to penetrate the wood and enhance the natural look and feel of the wood.  It creates the rich, warm glow of a traditional hand-rubbed finish. We settled on a price and Brandon told me he'd call me in a day or two when the desk parts were ready to be picked up.


Before I left, I checked out some of Chuck Jennett's carvings.




Next up: The desk is installed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment