Banner Photo Caption

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

We Dodged a Bullet


It could have been a LOT worse.  I feared hemlocks falling like matchsticks.  Instead, lots of dead trees that had been threatening to come down came down.  I only saw two live trees of significant size destroyed.  Two trees across our dirt road -- one I was just barely able to move with the help of a six foot iron bar I brought along with me on the way to work and the other will have to wait for chain saw action. 

Our power went out for several hours.  My thanks to Ben Krahforst of ACT Electric for doing a good job installing our 14 KW Kohler generator that passed its first real test. 

We only got about a 1/2-inch of rain. Wind gusts reached 23mph at the West Grafton weather station, 19mph at my Rensselaer Plateau weather station and 22 mph at the Berlin weather station. The aneometer on my weather station is not as high as it should be, so I suspect gusts reached 22-23 in the tree canopies.  Temperatures were extraordinarily high, staying in the fifties throughout the evening.

So, I am grateful that it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.  But something's happening with the climate.  I believe global warming is behind the weird stuff we've been experiencing.  I'm hopeful the right guy for the job gets elected and will focus a bit more on that in his second term.  One of these "100-year" storms could truly wreak havoc and destroy the character of the Plateau.



0 comments:

Post a Comment