Banner Photo Caption

Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Winds of 2012


As I type this, the highest wind gust so far today was 17 mph at 6:03 a.m.  That's a strong wind, given my wind anemometer is only 5 feet above ground.  I decided it was about time I researched an adjustment factor to convert the wind speed reported by my anemometer at 5 feet above ground to the approximate average 60 foot height of the hemlocks surrounding the weather station.  Best as I can determine, converting calculus formulas to a simple "rule-of-thumb," the factor I arrived at is 1.33.  So the 17 mph gust at 6:03 a.m. this morning converts to about 23 mph.  A comparison with the wind data provided by the two closest professional grade weather stations -- downtown Berlin and West Grafton -- seems to validate this factor.

Take a look at the Plateau weather charts from yesterday,  the wind gusts really ramped up through the evening.  You can access these graphs at any time, using the pull-down menus for the day of interest by clicking here.

KNYGRAFT2 Weather Graph
 
Further Reading
Adjusting Wind Speeds (Aerostar Wind Turbines)
Wind Gradient (Wikipedia)

0 comments:

Post a Comment