Banner Photo Caption

Total Pageviews

Friday, November 1, 2013

Birch Tree Down!


I awoke at 4 a.m. to the sound, outside in the distance, of our emergency generator and a howling wind.  I instinctively reached for my cell phone and notified National Grid of the power outage.  This is the first power line slaughter of the season.  What kind of joke is that?  The photo above was taken at 5:52 a.m. on the dirt road about a hundred yards from our driveway.  Oh well, I've been through this before.  It's "fate on the lake," I told told myself in my pre-coffee stupor.  No reason to get excited, there must be someway out of here so I can get myself to work, the hour is getting late.  And, indeed, I found relief from all this early morning confusion.

I knew we were in for trouble when I received a storm alert notice from National Grid in my e-mail last night.  Click here if you're a National Grid customer and would like to subscribe to their storm notification feed.  Rensselaer County also has an RSS feed that is helpful for things like storm and highway closing notifications (Click here).

0 comments:

Post a Comment