Banner Photo Caption

Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Garage Final Touches


The hand-split cedar shakes finally arrived from British Columbia (ordered via Build Direct).  I spent this past weekend on the ladder installing them.  I do not like heights, but I do like how this turned out.  Our house is sided with the same shakes, so this ties the garage in, architecturally, with the house. I love the look of hand-split cedar shakes, plus they need no staining, painting or maintenance.  They are strong, insect resistant and last for years.  They can also be used as a roofing material, though I prefer our forest green shingles for that.  If you have an interest in cedar shakes, go to YouTube and search "hand-split cedar shakes," and you'll find out how they are made by hand.

Note the lamp adjacent to the side door.  I wanted the capability of turning this on and off from our mud-room in the house.  I figured I'd have to lay some conduit and install 3-way switches.  But Ben Krahforst (ACT Electric, Petersburgh), who wired our garage, clued me in on wireless switches.  I ordered  a SkyLinkHome switch and receiver in the garage and a SkyLinkHome switch (programmed to "mate" to the above receiver) in the mud-room.  I ordered these from Amazon.com and installed them myself -- very easy.  Now we can turn that light off from either the house or inside the garage.

I also installed the Chamberlain Ultra Quiet Garage Door Opener.  I hope it's the last garage door opener I ever have to install because I've put in several and they are always fun.  I think "ultra" quiet might be a slight stretch, but this opener is much quieter than most. 

Sometime, in the coming months, I'll be making a cedar flower box.  But, the next project on the list is crawl space dehumidifiers and sump pumps.  Something about this rainy year.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment