Banner Photo Caption

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Locust Grove

Locust Grove
I recently attended an event in the mid-Hudson Valley and stayed at a hotel in Poughkeepsie.  Returning on a gorgeous day, I decided to visit Locust Grove, the home of artist and inventor Samuel F. B. Morse.  In the 1990's, I used to drive by this place on the way to work and never took the time to visit. While I don't think it's worth a drive just down there just to visit this house, I do think it's worth it if you have other reasons for being in the area.  One might be to visit the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt or Val-Kill the home of Eleanor Roosevelt -- both  Hyde Park.  Yes, separate homes.  Another reason might be to experience the new Walkway Over the Hudson.

I've taken quite a few tours of historic homes, but I place this one near the top.  Excellent tour guide and excellent access.  Plus beautiful grounds.  There's also a small museum of his artwork and morse code paraphernalia.







0 comments:

Post a Comment