Banner Photo Caption

Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Crawl-Space-Crawl

With temperatures hitting minus 11 here yesterday, I decided it was time for the annual Crawl-Space-Crawl.  Once a year, during subzero temperatures, I venture down into that "fun" space known as the Crawl Space.  One half of this place has a crawl space you can stand up in -- an addition to the house that was completed in the early nineties.  The other half, constructed in 1940, and "winterized" several years ago, ranges from 3 to 5 feet high, depending on whether or not you are navigating around/over a substantial boulder of Rensselaer Graywacke, covered with plastic vapor barrier.  Yep, "fun."

So, what I do is go around the perimeter with my trusty Black & Decker Thermal Heat Detector (click here for post I wrote a couple of years ago providing full details), which is the best tool I've purchased in the last 10 years (followed by the electronic stud detector, covered here).  It pays for itself in no time, by locating the most egregious drafty spots/crevices in wonderful, but not-so-tight, Plateau homes such as this one.

Energy audits can be very expensive, but for the $33 this cool tool costs via Amazon.com, you can save yourself big bucks by identifying and eliminating energy sieves.  Every year, I raise the bar on spots I decide need some additional insulation - and it saves me propane dollars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment